Monday, January 26, 2015

vCenter SSO: Active Directory as a LDAP Server

Recently I had a need to use secondary Active Directory (VPOD02.example.com) to my vCenter SSO in the lab which is already integrated with Active Directory (VPOD01.example.com).

Here are several facts just to give you brief overview of my lab.

I have two independent vPODs in my lab. Each vPOD has everything what's needed for VMware vSphere infrastructure. I have there dedicated hardware (Compute, Storage, Network), vSphere components like vCenter, SSO, ESXi hosts, Site Recovery Manager, vSphere Replication Appliance, and also Domain Controllers and DNS servers.

vCenter SSO placed in VPOD01 is using Integrated Windows Authentication with Microsoft Active Directory "VPOD01.example.com". Therefore another integration with Microsoft Active Directory "VPOD02.example.com" can be done only via LDAP. Configuration of additional identity source is depicted on the screenshot below.

SSO: Add identity source
Identity source type: Active Directory as a LDAP Server
Identity source settings:
  Name: vpod02.example.com
  Base DN for users: dc=vpod02,dc=example,dc=com
  Domain name: vpod02.example.com
  Domain alias: vpod02
  Base DN for groups: dc=vpod02,dc=example,dc=com
  Primary server URL: ldap://10.2.22.51:389
  Secondary server URL: empty
  Username: administrator@vpod02.example.com
I know that two Microsoft domains can be integrated in to the single "Domain Trust" but because I'm not to much familiar and experienced with Microsoft Active Directory I think that vCenter Single Sign-On capability of multiple identity sources is another nice design option.

Simpler manageability for non-Microsoft oriented vSphere Admin was the primary reason and justification to use this option in my vSphere lab :-)




No comments: