Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Farewell VMware

The clever people and Buddhists know that the only constant thing in the world is change. The change is usually associated with transition, and as we all know, transitions are not easy, but generally good and inevitable things. All transitions are filled with anticipation and potential risks, however, any progress and innovations are only achieved by accepting the risk and going outside of the comfort zone. That's one of the reasons I have decided to leave VMware, even though VMware organization and technologies are very close to my heart, and I truly believe that the VMware software stack is one of the most important IT technology stacks for the future of humans. 

As I prepare to move on, I have to say goodbye and a big thank you to the VMware organization. VMware technologies are part of my daily life for a long time, using the technology since 2006, and I’ll really miss the VMware family I joined back in 2015. It was a great time, and I will especially miss VMware core technical folks transforming the industry and building one of the best software-defined infrastructure stacks humans have done so far. 

And where do I actually go? Back in 2001, I was the co-founder of the software start-up, where I started my professional career by architecting, developing, and operating the air ticket online booking platform, which was later acquired by Galileo Travelport https://www.travelport.com. Now, after 20 years, I have got the proposal to help Kiwi.com to become the # 1 digital system in the modern digitalized travel industry. For those who do not know Kiwi.com, Kiwi.com was originally a Czech start-up growing into a worldwide #3 air ticketing booking platform. They were acquired by General Atlantic back in 2019 https://www.generalatlantic.com/media-article/general-atlantic-announces-strategic-partnership-with-travel-platform-kiwi-com/, and General Atlantic’s past and current investments in the global online travel industry include Priceline, Airbnb, Meituan, Flixbus, Uber, Despegar, Smiles and Mafengwo can tell you where the online travel industry is heading. Those who can read between the lines understand that such a mix allows to build optimal door-to-door traveling for the next human generation(s). I have decided that I would like to be part of such travel industry transformation! Not only because Kiwi.com really does multi-cloud with Kubernetes at a large scale, but mainly to be part of a very young, innovative, and inspiring team including hundreds of software developers and dozens of infrastructure platform and DevOps engineers operating everything as cloud computing.

I'm expecting big fun and you can expect more blog posts about DevOps, multi-cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD, Observability, and infrastructure for modern applications because I have to learn and test a lot of new technologies and writing the blog post is the great way to share new knowledge and getting the feedback from other folks in various communities.

Hope my blog will be still useful for my current readers who are typically very IT infrastructure-oriented, however, the software eats the world, and the IT infrastructure is here to support software, isn't it? 

No comments: